Lockup with powerd on amd64/tyan k8sd pro

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Thu Dec 1 14:02:59 GMT 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 07:07:35PM +1100, Joe Shevland wrote:
> I've installed 6-stable as of about two weeks ago. I tried out using
> powerd in 'debug' mode (adaptive by default I guess), more for my own
> interest's sake, and it locked up the machine solid. Prior to the
> lock-up the messages reported is was dropping through the various MHz
> steps, and then the lock-up when it reached what I'm guessing was the
> lowest level.

Could you post a full sysctl dev.cpu and the same with sysctl
dev.powernow?
Is the lowest frequency the only one which cause that look-up?
If you change manually the frequency via a sysctl

dev.cpu.0.freq=<something other than the lowest one>

will tell us if that's the case.

I think anyway that I found what is wrong.  I think the 2 processors are
doing a transition at the very same time, and it's possible that will
confuse the northbridge.

I don't have time to write a fix right now.  I will post a patch to be
tested latter.

Thanks,

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.