Sysinstall automatic filesystem size generation.

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Mon Aug 29 21:56:14 GMT 2005

Chuck Swiger wrote:

>Yet you seem willing to spend time discussing the matter...?

Because it's somewhat of my pet peeve and I always see the mantra-like
repetition of the argument that "you have to disable the write-back
cache if you want any safety at all", which is a) extremely
disadvantageous with today's IDE/SATA drives and hardly feasible
in reality, and b) other systems like Windows and Linux can operate
much safer with the cache _enabled_, on most drives except the most
pathetic ones which are totally broken.

>>One often sees the "softupdates" argument being fielded by FreeBSD
>>advocates, typically against Linux users with journalled fs, on web
>>forums, usenet and other less authoritative (and knowledgable)
>>places of discussion, and it is often presented as if it were some
>>kind of magic bullet that makes filesystem corruption impossible.
>
>"Often?"  Strawman test: can you point out 3 examples by message-id or URL?

A Google search finds them quickly:

http://www.heise.de/ix/foren/go.shtml?read=1&msg_id=7335045&forum_id=70615
(german, argument is that "softupdates is at least a match for a
journalled fs"),

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-June/009967.html
("FS + SoftUpdates is much better than journaling!")

http://aussatz.antville.org/topics/HowTos/
(german, argument is "1. practically nothing can break when power
goes out", and even that you can switch off the machine without any
problems, except for losing the files that have been written to in
the last seconds.  Of course no mentioning of disk cache or any
sophistication whatever.)

>And if you prefer to run a journalled filesystem under Linux instead of
>softupdates under FreeBSD, by all means, do whatever makes you happy.

I don't want to do that (that is, I do want that, of course, if I'm
using Linux, but in general I don't care about Linux). The point
is, that both Windows and recent Linux make great effort to ensure
filesystem correctness by using request barriers and clever flushing,
or even complete disabling/reenabling of the cache at these barrier
points, even on consumer-grade hardware. While with FreeBSD, the
attitude generally seems to be a snobby "here's a dime, kid, go buy
yourself a real computer". That might work for server hardware but
for the typical PC, which is a commodity product, and where one
often cannot even select the hardware (be it because your employer
puts the machine in your office, or you just order some machine
somewhere because tinkering with components until a PC works
flawlessly has become a royal PITA and waste of time) and so the
operating system generally has to work with "normal" off-the-shelf
hardware, which means, cheap IDE/SATA stuff, and not a super-expensive
battery-backed U320 SCSI-RAID with a gratis golden Rolex and 1-year
free membership in the Dubai Nad al-Sheba golf club.

>PS: I don't want a thread to end on a negative note.  It would be useful if
>FreeBSD had a more adaptable method for dealing with drive power management
>and caching; in particular, for laptops it might be nice to cache data for
>much longer-- perhaps even hours-- if nothing fsync()s, in order to permit
>the drive to spin down.

My notebook lies to me everytime when the battery is going to be
out of juice soon (one of the reason I experience powerouts frequently,
when I don't pay attention), so that seems to be somewhat unreliable
to me..

mkb.