CVSup timeout

Bryan Buecking bryan at vanten.com
Wed Aug 24 09:04:01 GMT 2005

I posted this issue on fbsd-hackers a week ago and now have still not
been able to solve this problem.

Basically I receive an error every time I run CVSup on RELENG 5.4 and
6.0 Beta 2 saying:

"Detailer failed: Network read failure: Connection timed out"

Running CVSup on RELENG 4.11 causes not error, and completes
successfully.  I also ran CVSup on Linux successfully.  Please note that
I've been testing CVSup with the same box for all versions of fbsd/Linux.

The network is behind a firewall, which I figure is causing me grief.
I'm using ipfilter v.3.4 on NetBSD:

ipf: IP Filter: v3.4.29 (336)
Kernel: IP Filter: v3.4.29
Running: yes
Log Flags: 0 = none set
Default: pass all, Logging: available
Active list: 1

my fw rule for cvsup is:

pass in proto tcp from any to 192.168.123.0/24 port = 5999 flags S keep
state group 200

I know this works, since I can successfully CVSup from other machine on
the network.  Note that CVSup will successfully update some files, but
will generally stop after 4 or 5 files update.  I once was able to
update the entire contents of ports-base.

When running tcpdump on the internal/pppoe interface of the fw I get:
(Although I'd expect that the fw is blocking packets, nothing is getting
blocked/logged.)

http://www.vanten.com/tcpdump/lan

Please take note that multiple attempts to send

17:35:49.358159 192.168.220.77.60332 > 210.188.224.44.5999: .
2566:3968(1402) ack 34152 win 32947 <nop,nop,timestamp 21372828
2247105969> (DF) (ttl 64, id 4218, len 1454)

failed to make it to the outside interface, as shown below..

On the internet interface:

http://www.vanten.com/tcpdump/pppoe

As for ipnat, everything is mapping correctly ie internal ports to
external ports, and the NAT session isn't ending prematurely.

I have spent too long trying to figure out where my problem is, and I'm
hoping with the help of some fresh eyes I can finally get this fbsd box
up and running.

Cheers,
--
Bryan Buecking