broken fxp driver in 4.x ...

dpk dpk at dpk.net
Mon Aug 22 14:41:27 GMT 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Now, on one of our newer servers runnign a fairly recent cvsup of 4.x, the
> fxp driver is doing the exact same thing ... all the other fxp based
> servers do a nice quick 'ifconfig alias' for an IP, and arp broadcasts are
> sent out, but on this one, I get the '60 second hang' and have to get our
> network guys to clear arp caches for  the changes to take effect :(
>
> Has anyone else running 4.x experienced this?  Or am I just unlucky with
> these things?  Is there a way of fixing it?
>
> Thanks ...

We have a similar problem with our servers using em and bge drivers, but
we don't experience that exact problem with fxp (although we have a
different but similarly annoying problem). I was told for our problem we
should enable 'portfast' on our switch ports -- we're in the process of
trying to get that done.

I don't know if the alias problem is the same, though. It's definitely
still present in 5.4-R. We aren't in a position to try 6.0 or 7.0 or
whatever version people are moving on to, so I don't know if it's fixed
there.

I was thinking we might be the only people seeing the huge delay in
getting networking up -- wasn't finding anything on Google about it.

Can you try having your network guys enable 'portfast' on your server
port, and then see if adding an IP alias still causes the hang?