DELL SC430 & ahd0: <Adaptec 39320A Ultra320 SCSI adapter>

Hutterer Robert robert.hutterer at univie.ac.at
Sat Aug 20 09:56:29 GMT 2005

> The problem is in the *drive* firmware.  Updating or changing the
> Adaptec BIOS will have no impact on your problem.  You could
> try contacting Seagate directly, but I'm guessing your system is
> using Dell OEM drive firmware which I think Seagate only releases
> through Dell.
Thank You for clarification.
Contacted Seagate and it will need some days to get an answer and clarified
if a new firmware is availabel and will fix this problem.

Meanwhile I tested both methods you suggested
1. 'camcontrol tags da0 -N 64' in /etc/rc
2. lower the maxtags entry in (/usr/src/sys/cam/cam_xpr.c and rebuild kernel

Both methods work. No problems even I keep the machine active (cvsup and
buildworld, installing ports).

Additional questions:
1. Is one method as good as the other (disadvantages/advanages of one
compared to the other)
2. It seems to me that I have now a working but somehow "tinkered" system.
Are there some disadvantages (performance reduction etc.) or side-effects I
have to take care off.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge

Robert