ad10: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=11441599

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Wed Aug 17 05:18:05 GMT 2005

Mike Tancsa wrote:
> Yes, I have had Maxtor drives in the past where they would not work
> properly at certain bus speeds-- even back in the RELENG_4 days.  Also,
> doesnt UDMA133 assume no slave ?
>
> I would just run them at 100.  I dont think you would see much of a
> difference anyways.  Perhaps Soeren could comment ?

OK well I just tried adding some atacontrol commands to /etc/rc.local to
force them all to 100 and it appeared to execute them upon boot. In
various tests this evening I was getting errors even when trying to
mount a drive while another one was on the same channel. However the
atacontrol to rc.local seemed to do the trick for now, and I hope it
continues to work....unless there is a better way to do that for all my
drives upon boot.

I'm not too worried about any 133 performance increase at this point. I
just want the stuff to work.

Here is how I had planned my configuration to be:

Primary IDE Master - Maxtor 200GB (FreeBSD)
Secondary IDE Master - TDK VeloCD Burner
Secondary IDE Slave - Sony DRU500A
RAID 0 Master - Maxtor 200GB (Storage)
RAID 0 Slave - Maxtor 160GB (Storage)
RAID 1 Master - Maxtor 80GB (Storage)
RAID 1 Slave - Maxtor 80GB (Storage)

I do have a tall Antec case, and have both 200's and the 160 in 5 1/4
inch trays so the cables for those are long (36 inches IIRC). Would it
be OK to have that setup, or would it be better to isolate them all on
their own cables/channels and get a Promise card or something for the
other two? I'm not going to be doing huge file copying a whole lot, but
I'd like the most performance I can get with no errors.

Thanks for the replies.

-Mark