Create 2.5TB file system on 5.4S?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Aug 16 02:06:42 GMT 2005

Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> Erik Stian Tefre wrote:
>> You can avoid the problem by splitting the array up in partitions
>> smaller than
>> 2TB each. (I know this does not answer your question, but it
>> simplifies things,
>> and it works for me(TM)... :-)
>
> :) Thanks, but I thought of that already. This is going to be a big
> database server and I don't want to have to deal with splitting the
> database across two partitions.

If it's going to be a big database server, why aren't you using all of those
drive spindles to help break up the I/O load?  :-)

Ask almost any Oracle or Sybase DB guru, and they'll ask for at least six disks
as three RAID-1 mirrors as a basic configuration, and would prefer 8 or 10 to
also hold the OS and the rollback logs on additional volumes.  Blah, I tried to
point to some Oracle docs, but they're behind a registration-required section.

At the very least, you want to have your tablespace and your logs on seperate
spindles, ie, for a minimal config beyond just a single disk, you'd put the
boot volume and logs together, and have a second disk or RAID volume for your
main tablespace.

About the worst thing you could do to a database is put all of your disks into
one single RAID-5 volume.  (Unless your database will be read-only.)

--
-Chuck