ad10: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request)LBA=11441599

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Thu Aug 11 23:25:15 GMT 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 03:44:52PM -0700, Vinod Kashyap wrote:
> > I have two controllers here that are from different
> > manufacturers and both exhibit the same problem.  The SAME
> > disks (two different manufacturers - hitachi and maxtor) on a
> > motherboard ICH5 adapter work perfectly, smartmontools says
> > all 4 (I have two examples of each) are healthy, and both
> > ALSO work perfectly on and are declared healthy by a 3ware
> > 8502's internal diags and operating kernel (smartmontools
> > won't talk to them on the 8502.)
> >

> smartmontools should support 3ware 7xxx & 8xxx controllers, although
> not 9xxx controllers.  See the answer to the question 'Can I monitor
> ATA disks behind SCSI RAID controllers?' at
> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#FAQ.  Although the answer is
> for Linux, it applies to FreeBSD as well.  You have to use '-d 3ware,N'
> with every command, where N is the unit #.
> Ex: smartctl -H -A -d 3ware,1 /dev/twed

Fs:/disk/karl> smartctl -d 3ware,1 /dev/twed0
smartctl version 5.32 Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Smartctl open device: /dev/twed0 failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Nope...apparently not supported on FreeBSD.

Karl Denninger (karl at denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	My home on the net - links to everything I do!
http://scubaforum.org		Your UNCENSORED place to talk about DIVING!
http://genesis3.blogspot.com	Musings Of A Sentient Mind