ad10: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=11441599

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Wed Aug 10 02:31:13 GMT 2005

Post your "dmesg" output from boot.

If the SATA controller has a SII chipset, you're in trouble.

Get that board out of there - or if its on the motherboard, get something
else in there and use it instead.

SII chipsets were ok in 4.x, but the newer ATA code broke badly with them.
I've had a PR open on this since February, and many others have reported
similar issues.  The problems still exist in the 6.x-BETA releases I've
checked out, and are in some cases MORE severe (for me anyway) than they are
in 5.4.

You CAN AND WILL lose data if you're not careful.

Be careful!

A BIG disappointment to me is that FreeBSD has not CONSPICUOUSLY stated in
the hardware notes for 5.4 (and beyond) that these controllers DO NOT work
reliably with 5.x and later, or undertaken to do whatever is needed to
make them work as they did in 4.x (I had no problems with the same
hardware under the 4.x releases)  As these controllers are widely
available and very inexpensive, not to mention showing up in all manner
of boards from various vendors (including Adaptec, Bustek and on some
motherboards!) this is quite a disappointment.

I finally gave up kvetching on the list and bought a 3ware 8502 card.
Same disks, same system, same load, no problems.

Smartmontools declared all my disks as perfectly healthy in my case, and has
for several others as well....

YMMV.

Karl Denninger (karl at denninger.net) Internet Consultant & Kids Rights Activist
http://www.denninger.net	My home on the net - links to everything I do!