Summary about nve network interface driver

Kövesdán Gábor gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu
Tue Aug 9 12:50:13 GMT 2005

Hi,

I've experineced serious errors with the nve driver and I've seen quite
many people would like to use it, but they also experiences these error.
There are open PR's and unfortunately nobody has volunteered to fix this
issue, the PR's have the default Responsible field, nobody has changed
it. Maxime Henrion has tried to fix the crashes, however, and asked me
to test his commits in HEAD, but unfortunately things haven't become
better. I've also seen, that Quinton Dolan, the original developer of
this driver, has also committed something to HEAD, he was the last
committer to that file when I checked HEAD, but unfortunately at moment
RELENG_6 has this buggy version and so has HEAD. I've checked both. The
problem is complicated, the experineced errors are quite different:

-    Sometimes it crashes with an attempted use of a free mbuf. See:
I've experineced and reported this issue in RELENG_6.
There is an another report by Dmitry Selin:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=amd64/82555

-   I've also exprienced a general protection fault and I suspect it
must be related to the nve driver.
See: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=84133
I've experineced this issue in RELENG_6 and in HEAD.

- Some people have device timeouts with nve. See:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=amd64/84027
I've also experienced it, but haven't reported, I wanted to get the
crashes fixed first.

I'm very interested in fixing this driver, because I would like to use
FreeBSD 6.0 as my desktop os, but unfortunately I don't have the
knowledge to fix this driver. If somebody would volunteer to take care,
I'd do the testing in RELENG_6 or HEAD or I'd do what I'd been told to
do. It would be really nice if it got fixed by the time 6.0-RELEASE gets
released.

Cheers,

Gábor Kövesdán