FreeBSD 6.0-BETA2 Available

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 6 20:13:16 GMT 2005

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, J. T. Farmer wrote:

> Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
>> I would suggest that it would have been better to post to current as
>> 6.0 is not yet stable and most of the people who deal with problems are
>> much more likely to see problems reported there.
>
> Ok, so I'm a bit confused.  The answer given for the the DMA_WRITE and
> DMA_READ errors experienced under 5.4 with PATA and SATA is to try 6.0.
>
> If 6.0 is not considered Stable, what are we supposed to do if we want
> to run Stable?

Three options:

(1) There are patches that bring most of the 6.0 ATA changes back to 5.x,
     but are not yet ready to commit.  You can apply these patches,
     although they don't currently contain all the fixes that are present
     in the 6.x version (at least, so Soren told me a few days ago when I
     asked about a possible merge schedule).

(2) 6.x will be -STABLE in the near future, but not before the release of
     6.0 is out.

(3) The patches will likely be merged to 5.x at some point, especially
     once they've gained more exposure through the release of 6.0.

Robert N M Watson