fsck_ufs: cannot increase directory list

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Apr 28 12:21:13 PDT 2005

Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> wrote:
 > I rebooted my server, and fsck'ed the disks, and here's what I get:
 >
 > # fsck -y /vol1
 > ** /dev/da0s1d
 > ** Last Mounted on /vol1
 > ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
 > fsck_ufs: cannot increase directory list

That error message is printed if a memory allocation fails.
(It's the memory that fsck uses for caching the inodes of
directories.)

 > # df -i
 > Filesystem             1K-blocks        Used      Avail Capacity  iused
 >      ifree %iused  Mounted on
 > /dev/da0s1d            1891668564 1643042028   97293052    94% 32927755
 > 211542003   13%   /vol1
 >
 > What's wrong?  It lets me mount it rw and ro, but I'm afraid data is
 > going to get corrupt.

Well, you have a 2 Tbyte filesystem with nearly 250 million
inodes.  That's really a lot, and fsck will need a lot of
memory (and probably run for a long time).

First you should check if you hit a (soft or hard) resource
limit with the "ulimit" command.  See sh(1) for details on
the ulimit usage.

If you ran fsck in single user mode, you might have to
enable swapping beforehand ("swapon -a") if your physical
RAM is not sufficient.

Best regards
   Oliver

I suggested holding a "Python Object Oriented Programming Seminar",
but the acronym was unpopular.
        -- Joseph Strout