FreeBSD 5.3p6-5.4RC3, Supermicro X6DHR-8G, Dual3.6GHzXeons,Adaptec aic7902 SCSI interface doesn't work in UP kernel

Guy Helmer ghelmer at palisadesys.com
Wed Apr 27 11:57:08 PDT 2005

Marc Olzheim wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:06:19PM -0700, Ade Lovett wrote:
>

>>>SuperMicro [...] Seagate [...]
>>>on-board aic7902
>>>

>>and, from your dmesg output:
>>
>>da0: <SEAGATE ST373207LC 0003> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
>>da0: 320.000MB/s transfers [...]
>>
>>At an absolute minimum, have the existing drive swapped out for an
>>ST373453LC model, making VERY certain that the firmware is rev 0006 --
>>prior revisions WILL corrupt your data, set fire to your cat, and
>>otherwise ruin your entire life -- and that's before they've actually
>>spun up.
>>

>I've got about 25 similar configurations running. Apart from the initial
>bootup card state dump, they work ok.
>I've flashed all Seagate drives to bios version 0007 to get it stable.
>
>Marc

We used to have some trouble with these Seagate drives and Adaptec
controllers with our older hardware (Supermicro X5DPL-8GM 533MHz FSB
motherboards, I believe), but we worked around it by turning off
packetized mode in the Adaptec BIOS.  I've priced the ST373453LC, and
it's 67% more than the ST373207LC ($311 vs. $519 at newegg, for example).

These new Supermicro X6DHR-8G 800MHz FSB systems seem to be working OK
(even under load) when running a kernel with SMP enabled.  I offered my
configuration in case jhb or someone else would be interested in what
seems to be an interrupt routing problem.

Thanks for your advice,
Guy

--
Guy Helmer, Ph.D.