Newbie Question About System Update

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Mon Apr 25 12:53:34 PDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:22:56 +0100
Bruce M Simpson <bms at spc.org> wrote:

> Depending on how exotic you wish to get, however. For example; IBM
> have embedded RFB (that's something of an alias for VNC) in their
> management controllers for a few years now; these talk to the
> management processors (PowerPC 4xx family) in an xSeries cluster over
> an RS488 serial bus, which in turn are able to sniff PCI VGA accesses
> to give you true remote KVM.

And other manufacturers also has "lights out" management boards for
their servers. Usually, this is an add on (extra cost), and proprietary,
so that it only works with that specific kind of srver as well.

I have seen a couple of generic "lights out" mgmt cards as well (I think
they use pci slots), but they are not very common.
As you said, making ssh'able terminal servers is both easy and cost
effective.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,