Newbie Question About System Update

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Mon Apr 25 11:25:14 PDT 2005

> That's an out of the ordinary KVM.  Would you mind passing on the
> manufacturer of that unit, I'd like to recommend that unit to a number
> of clients/associates of mine.

It's an HP unit. The client is a Java program called IPViewer you
donwload from their website. I did have to tweak it to run under
freeBSD (basically download the Linux version and replace the JRE with
the FreeBSD native one).

*quick rummage*

I suspect it's one of these:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/rack-options/kvm/index-console.html

Not that I have ever seen the thing. But it seems likely that it's one of
those. None of the boxes plugged into it are HP/Compaq ones - they are
a miscellany of odd servers from a variety of places, and it works fine
with all of them.

> The point is that a normal, run of the mill KVM doesn't have that capability.

I havent worked with many colo's - I assumed they all had some kind of remote
KVM ability, sorry. I see what you mean now.

cheers,

-pcf.

PS: I have no clue how miuch those KVM's cost - they might be horrificly
expensive if you dont get one as standard with your hosting. HP and 'cheap'
aren't two words that I naturally associate.