background_fsck=no does not work?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Apr 25 11:19:03 PDT 2005

Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> > > Why "hopefully"?  Aren't people convinced that it works correctly?
> >
> > i am convinced, but some of the hosts seem not to be :-)
> >
> > i see shutdowns which 0 0 0 0 and then shut, and when restarted
> > single user and fscked manually show errors.  though i think this
> > may be in current, which is on most of my hosts.
>
> Yeah, others have reported this problem on -current, but 5.x does not
> have it.

Actually, I have seen a similar problem on 5.x WRT OpenOffice ...
0. OpenOffice hangs and cant' be killed
1. Reboot system
2. System claims all buffers flushed, then just hangs
3. After hardbooting, filesystems need fscked

I noticed others with similar complaints about OpenOffice, so I haven't
said much.  The problem also happens pretty rarely, and I don't have any
idea how to reproduce it on demand.

I don't think this is _quite_ the same problem, however.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies