nss_ldap / top startup

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Mon Apr 25 10:39:41 PDT 2005

Hello.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:00:23PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> You can benchmark top by running "time top -d1", which will print one
> page then immediately exit.

Well, it makes really no difference, if I call top with -u or not.

> > Any ideas, why this is happening? Will I need 10 seconds, when there
> > are 60000 accounts in LDAP? :-)
>
> Try editing /usr/src/usr.bin/top/Makefile, add -DRANDOM_PW, and
> rebuild.  That should probably be the default on FreeBSD anyway.

I tried RANDOM_PW and I tried a bigger TOP_TABLE_SIZE, gives me no
difference. It really seems to be the case, that the machine reads a lot
of stuff from the slapd, when top starts you top and slapd being busy
(both are going back to nearly 0 very soon).

Well; what information is needed from LDAP, if I call top -u ? It makes
no username mapping. "ps -aux" is by far faster, so I guess it's reading
all the information and building it's table, althoug it's later not
really used?

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |