Even weirder hangs (was: FreeBSD 5.4-RC3 hangs on boot, 5.3 works)

Arjan Van Leeuwen avleeuwen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 03:03:01 PDT 2005

This gets weirder every time I try to do something.

The 5.3-RELEASE CD boots and installs a kernel that doesn't hang.

If I do a binary update (with freebsd-update, '5.3-SECURITY' branch
from Colin) to just after 5.3-RELEASE-p7, that kernel works too, and
doesn't hang.

If I use freebsd-update to get the newest kernel (after
5.3-RELEASE-p9, ifconf vulnerability), that kernel does _not_ work and
hangs at the same place as the one on the 5.4-RC3 CD.

So far so good - I thought that this meant that 5.3-RELEASE-p9 and
newer didn't work. Now for the weird part.

If I manually compile 5.3-RELEASE-p7, that does _not_ work!

So, to summarize:
- 5.3-RELEASE binary install works
- 5.3-SECURITY binary update at the time of 5.3-RELEASE-p7 works
- 5.3-RELEASE-p7 compiled manually does not work
- 5.3-SECURITY binary update at the time of 5.3-RELEASE-p9 does not work

I have absolutely no idea what causes these kernels to work or not
work. I hope someone can help me!

Arjan