CARP-related error on 5.4RC3

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Thu Apr 21 22:37:33 PDT 2005

On a new backup traffic shaper I have the following routing table:

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
default            xxx.yy.zzz.1       UGS         0    13708  carp0
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          0        0    lo0

Note the "netif" for my default route.  When carp0 is in a backup
state, I cannot reach my default route from this machine!  As you
might guess, this makes life difficult.

On the master machine, though, the default route points at a real
interface and I can reach the Internet:

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
default            xxx.yy.zzz.1       UGS         0     4563    em0
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          0        0    lo0

The machines have very different hardware: the master is a new Dell
1650 with em cards, the backup is a desktop machine with xl cards.
The software is identical, however.

In the interface list for the master machine, the em cards appear
above the carp interfaces.  On the backup machine, the carp interfaces
appear before the xl interfaces.  Might the default route simply be
attaching to the first appropriate interface it finds?

Since I have to get this machine in production tonight, I'm going to
try to hack around this, maybe with a shell script that creates and
ifconfigs the carp interfaces after the real interfaces are
configured.  It's definitely odd, though, and figured it should be
reported.

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org
	       Latest book: Cisco Routers for the Desperate