securelevel and make installworld

Jon Noack noackjr at alumni.rice.edu
Wed Apr 20 14:28:12 PDT 2005

On 04/20/05 15:16, Ronald Klop wrote:
> Can make installworld complain on startup if I try to run it with
> securelevel > 0.
> It will fail half way through on some files with nochg flags or
> something  like that.

Design feature:
'schg' is the system immutable flag.  Some system files are installed
with 'schg' for security reasons; installworld must remove this flag in
order to install a new version of these files.  However, when
securelevel > 0 system immutable flags may not be turned off (see
init(8)).  An attempt to remove the system immutable flag (set 'noschg')
will therefore fail.  As a result, installworld fails.

Canonical answer:
Reboot into single user mode to perform the installworld as documented
in UPDATING and section 19.4.1 of the handbook.

Regards,
Jon