Tuning for router performance

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Tue Apr 19 13:56:20 PDT 2005

In article <200504180317.j3I3Hmdo068332 at aurora.sol.net>,
	jgreco at ns.sol.net (Joe Greco) writes:

> No problems with high traffic rates.  (For the purposes of this discussion,
> all traffic except ssh to the router is traffic /thru/ the router).

Yes sorry I should have also mentioned I was specifically using
64byte packets for PPS testing - not entirely real world traffic.

> I find this interesting, because the aggregate traffic through the router
> is clearly not anywhere near a gigabit.  So it does appear that there is
> some sort of inadvertent cap on PPS here.

I think there always will be at some point, if only because the
hardware isn't not optimised for the task.

> 2) We need to remember that the design of the P4SC{8,i} is a bit crappy,
>    in that the onboard ports consist of one CSA port (no problem here)
>    and one PCI port - which Supermicro wisely placed on the 32-bit, 33 MHz
>    legacy PCI bus.  This could potentially limit the throughput on that
>    port.

Not a problem for me as I'm only using the ethernet on that bus.

-Paul-