Tuning for router performance

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Tue Apr 19 13:56:03 PDT 2005

In article <MDEHLPKNGKAHNMBLJOLKEEKADDAB.davids at webmaster.com>,
	davids at webmaster.com ("David Schwartz") writes:

>> I'm starting to hit errors at 150Kpps.
> I'm not sure why you're hitting errors at that speed. But here are
> a few suggestions:

Sorry - I left out a key piece of information, as I'm testing PPS
rather than throughput I'm using 64byte packets.

>> options         HZ=1000         #for polling
> That's too low. 2000 is the minimum you should consider.

Thanks, I will try that and do some more testing.

> 	You probably want:
>
> kern.random.sys.harvest.ethernet=0
> kern.random.sys.hervest.interrupt=0

I tried these in my initial test, but they didn't seem to make any
difference for me.  I'll try them in combination with the above.

> What are your current values for vm.kmem_size and vm.kmem_size_max?

    vm.kmem_size: 335544320
vm.kmem_size_max: 335544320

-Paul-