Will 5.4 be an "Extended Life" release?

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Mon Apr 18 13:44:25 PDT 2005

* Matthias Buelow <mkb at incubus.de> [0401 21:01]:
> Dick Davies wrote:
>
> >All the grief with 'x depends on y and z, z needs i' and all that rubbish go
> >away with portupgrade in my experience - I tend to hook openldap into everything,
> >and that gets upgraded fairly regularly. On netbsd it takes an afternoon to clean
> >up the mess - portupgrade was a big reason for me to give freebsd another go, just
> >because of how it simplifies package management...
>
> You know about "make update" in NetBSD's pkgsrc?  pkg_add -u(u)
> should do the same for binary packages.

Yeah. Have you used it (make update, not tried pkg_add -u)?
There's been some discussion on disabling it because in some ways it can be a liability.

It's got a buttload of problems, including the fact it deinstalls the old package
before checking it can even build the new one. It also usually wants to rebuild all
dependant packages, which can take half a day on a low-powered box.

In my personal experience, it does'nt compare to portupgrade, and it's rendered systems
of mine unusable.

--
'Interesting. No, wait, the other thing - Tedious.'
		-- Bender