PXE booting a 5.4-RC2 system ...

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Mon Apr 18 12:00:11 PDT 2005

> try what is used in the CD install boot: mount a kernel and use a
> mfsroot.  This maybe even more easy to setup.  Take a look into boot/
> of CD1.

Hmm.  Closer.

Actually it's a bit less easy to set up, since it involves downloading
650MB which is a bit much.  I actually tried the "bootonly" image first
(not sure what it's supposed to do) but that exhibited all sorts of
strange stuff prior to crashing.

I'm glad I realized that you can actually vnconfig an ISO image and then
mount_cd9660 it.  This is probably obvious to many, and in fact it's how
we get the files off floppy, but still...  UNIX variants have gotten so
featureful, sometimes it's hard to remember all the things you can do.  ;-)

Taking /boot from disc1 got us through the kernel load but then panicked
with a "Can't find init".

<time passes>

That seems to have been solved by putting

set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"

in loader.rc.  At least I get into sysinstall.  Now to try installing.  :-)

5.* is going to take a little getting used to.  Generally looks nice but
also a bit foreign.

Thanks for the hint,

... JG