Will 5.4 be an "Extended Life" release?

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Mon Apr 18 10:02:45 PDT 2005

At 10:00 AM 4/18/2005, Steve Ames wrote:

>> Perhaps. But then, all of the software that recognizes "official" releases
>> and does things like download ports, etc. won't work.
>
>It would recognize it as 4.11.

Actually, it tends not to recognize it at all. If the string doesn't
say "4.11-RELEASE", the software reports that ports, packages, etc.
can't be found. Try installing packages with /stand/sysinstall on
a snapshot and you'll see what I mean. Colin's "FreeBSD-update" seems
to exhibit similar behavior.

>> I am finding them both to be slower than 4.x, and am still encountering
>> some quirky hangs and some ports that won't build. YMMV, of course.
>
>Always. Best we can do is help out by submitting detailed reports when we
>encounter these quirky hangs and ports issues and, when skill allows, submit
>patches to fix things.

I do try. But while experimentation is fun and educational, I need, at all
times, to have a "tried and true" version of the OS that I can roll out on
new production servers. I'd really like that version to be 5.4, because I
am building some AMD64 servers and would like to take advantage of the 64
bit support in 5.x. Speed matters, but stability takes priority.

--Brett