Hp dc7100 installs 5.4-rc1 from CD but won't boot from HD

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Thu Apr 14 10:26:27 PDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, John Hawkes-Reed wrote:

> (Which I think covers the problem)
>
> Boots from CD ok, USB keyboard seems less than reliable, so I'm using a PS2
> item. Running through 'standard' install appears to write data to the (SATA
> ICH6 controller) disk, but on reboot it sits at the F1: FreeBSD prompt
> beeping every ten seconds.
>
> Is there likely to be anything obvious I've missed? (Or indeed more useful
> data I can provide.)

Your system appears to require packet mode, but sysinstall didn't enable
it.  Two possible fixes:

1. If you have disc 2: Boot the install CD, go to Fixit, start up fixit
off CD, then run

boot0cfg -o packet adX

where adX is the appropriate disk device.

2. Reinstall, but use the standard MBR rather than the boot manager. Once
you get the system booted you can install the boot manager with:

boot0cfg -B -o packet adX

where adX is the appropriate disk device.