Alternate menu logos

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Thu Apr 14 10:13:53 PDT 2005

(Changing the subject since its not reflective of the tone of the
message. Apologies to the poster, but since this is a touchy subject I'm
going to make this a more technical discussion.)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Hanspeter Roth wrote:

> - or have an convenient flag in loaders.conf that allows to
>   run Beastie menu but display some other decoration?

I I have an idea and the patch in PR 74577 is about halfway there. I
suggest providing a script that forth-ifies a provided ASCII logo, and a
loader option to load a banner file from disk.  This way, if, say, an OEM
wanted to put contact information in there, they could put in loader.conf:

banner_enable="YES"
banner_file="/boot/oem.banner"

and have that displayed instead of the beastie.

The forthifier script would turn the file into a forth function definition
and then it can be included with standard routines in the loader.  Then
your banner function would just call it.