Kodak USB flash reader causes freezes, panics

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Apr 12 09:41:29 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:14:14PM -0400, Tim Howe wrote:
> Brooks Davis <brooks at one-eyed-alien.net> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 05:24:15PM -0400, Tim Howe wrote:
> >
> > > Reproducibly, if I begin copying data to a [...] CF card [...] it
> > > works for a while, then freezes the system.
> >
> > It is quite likely that 5.4 fixed your problem.
>
> Unfortunately not.  I was able, having mounted the filesystem with no
> synchronization options, to copy 171MiB of data onto it and unmount.
> However when I re-mounted it with the same options and tried to copy
> 71MiB more, it again froze midway through.

Sounds like you should file a PR about the issue.  Are you sure the file
system in question is OK?  There were some msdosfs corruption bugs fixed
recently.

> Everything else (X11, sound, printing, input) seems to be working
> perfectly with 5.4, but I did notice something new and strange with
> regard to umass.  I still have to run "true > /dev/da0" to get the slice
> to show up, but now I get the following:
>
> [1042] ~ # true > /dev/da0
> [1043] ~ # camcontrol rescan 0
> Re-scan of bus 0 was successful
> [1044] ~ # ls -l /dev/da0*
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  21 Apr 11 21:45 /dev/da0
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  28 Apr 11 21:45 /dev/da0s1
> crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  29 Apr 11 21:45 /dev/da0s1s1
> [1045] ~ # mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt/cf
> [1046] ~ # umount /mnt/cf
> [1047] ~ # mount_msdosfs /dev/da0s1s1 /mnt/cf
> [1048] ~ # umount /mnt/cf

I'd highly recommend running the command in the other direction so you
try to read rather than write.  It shouldn't matter, but that makes me
nervous (not that I think it has anything to do with your problem.)  It
would appear that your da0s1 has data at the front that looks like an
MBR and GEOM is attaching to it.  I'm not sure what the best solution to
that problem is.  Probably a reformat.

-- Brooks