Package managment

Robert Backhaus robbak at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 05:45:13 PDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 6:28 PM, Jan Sebosik <sebosik at demax.sk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I`ve got one simple question: if i`ve built packages on my freebsd
> 5.3-RELEASE system, do I need to rebuilt them again for 5.4-RELEASE
> (after downloading && compiling from sources) ?
>
> Best regards,
> Jan Sebosik

With care, in many situations, you should be able to get away with it.
Problems occur with ports that contain kernel modules (ltmdm,
nvidia-driver). There have also been major changes within ports (new
gtk versions, and a gnome upgrade) which will make partial rebuilding
hazardous.

Most of us would recommend a general rebuild, for safety's sake.