two mysterious files in RELENG_5_4

Jon Noack noackjr at alumni.rice.edu
Mon Apr 11 12:10:00 PDT 2005

On 4/11/2005 7:24 AM, Rostislav Krasny wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I have FreeBSD 5.4-RC1 installed from FTP. Today I ran cvsup to get
> the latest RELENG_5_4 src-all. I've seen two strange files were
> checkouted by cvsup:
>
>  Checkout src/installworld_newk
>  Checkout src/installworld_oldk
>
> I don't see those files on
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/?only_with_tag=RELENG_5_4
> but I see them on http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/Attic/
> According to the cvsweb logs those files were removed in HEAD but
> still exist in RELENG_5_4. But why I don't see them on the cvsweb by
> the first URL and why they didn't exist in my 5.4-RC1 before cvsup?
> Or, if they were removed in the RELENG_5_4 too, why cvsup checkouted
> them today?

*sigh*  The files were removed from HEAD but still exist in RELENG_5 and
children (like RELENG_5_4).  What you are experiencing is a limitation
of CVSweb: files in the Attic are not handled well (the newest release,
3.0.5, doesn't do this correctly either).  I recently started working on
CVSweb and this is one of the things on my TODO list.

I'm not sure why the 5.4-RC1 src didn't include them; perhaps files are
excluded from the src depending on which arch the release is targeting?
  These particular files are only used for sparc64.

Jon