5.4-RC1 Freezing, but pingable (may be related to gvinum)

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Sun Apr 10 11:53:34 PDT 2005

Ash wrote:

> I was hoping that someone on the list may have run into a similar
> issue with 5_4_0 so that I could at least figure out how to reproduce
> the problem rather than simply waiting for the machine to hang again.
> Patience is not my greatest virtue :)

I'm seeing a similar symptom but only with gstripe and only on usb disks
(the same drives on Firewire work fine) - I can reproduce it (all be it
slowly) by dumping a big file system and restoring it to a gstripe pair
of usb drives - it will will after up to 2 hours.   Unfortunately the
machine is a semi-production server so I have to time my test window - I
have built a DDB/KDB kernel for it and sometime this week I'll try and
get a trace.

John
P.S. there is a bug report for this - i386/79169
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/79169