Kernel NTP flipping between FLL and PLL modes

Bob Bishop rb at gid.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 05:26:08 PST 2005

Hi,

At 14:04 01/04/2005, David Magda wrote:

>On Apr 1, 2005, at 05:45, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
>>Any suggestions as to why this is happening?  (And how I can stop
>>it regularly flipping)
>
>I don't think this is really an issue. [etc]

I think this is an issue:

- As stated, machines running 4.x don't seem to do it
- In addition to the mode schizophrenia, undex 5.3 I'm also seeing resets
of several seconds which don't happen on identical hardware running 4.11 in
the same rack. Yes I know the clock drifts will be different, but ntp.drift
is very close on the two boxen.

I believe something's broken. More datapoints:

- I'm seeing it under 5.3R both on i386 and amd64 but not i386/4.11 on the
same LAN
- I'm not seeing it on 5.1R on a remote system

--
Bob Bishop		    +44 (0)118 940 1243
rb at gid.co.uk		fax +44 (0)118 940 1295