Postgres downgrade

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 13:35:59 PDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:02:50 +0200, Norman Uittenbogaart|Webminded
<norman at webminded.nl> wrote:
> I upgraded my postgres without dumping my data and reimport them, so now
> my database won t start,
>
> > [root at cp root]# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/010.pgsql.sh start
> > pgsqlFATAL: database files are incompatible with server
> > DETAIL: The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3, which is not compatible with this version 7.4.2.
>
> Now how can I downgrade from Postgres 7.4.2 back to Postgres 7.3 without
> loosing my data ?
> Would a make install in /usr/ports/databases/postgresql73 be sufficient ?

First backup/export the database to a file, then uninstall Postgres
7.4.2, and install Postgres 7.3.

If the downgrade results in your database being unreadable to Postgres
7.3, then remove the database and use the backup to restore it.