libpthread in 5.3-BETA3

Mikko Työläjärvi mbsd at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 8 21:46:21 PDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Øyvin Halfdan Thuv wrote:

> Hi,
> I get:
> vequess:% mred
> Fatal error 'Spinlock called when not threaded.' at line 83 in file /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_spinlock.c (errno = 0)
> Abort

This usually means that the program for some reason has dependencies
on more than one thread library (libpthread, libthr, libc_r).

If everything is built from scratch after installation there should
not be any such inconsistencies.

Google for the phrase in the error message and you'll find plenty more
information.

> I get the same error with some other programs using the lib as well
> (gaim & sim).

Run "ldd" on the program and see which threads libraries show up...

> I commented out the check for '!__threaded' and everything seems to work fine.
> I using FreeBSD 5.3-BETA3 (cvsup'ed yesterday).

That is most likely not a safe solution.  The quick workaround is to
use libmap.conf(5) to map all threads libs to one (libpthread).

   $.02,
   /Mikko