ACPI Problems on HP Netserver LH3000

Holger Kipp h.kipp at eurowings.com
Wed Sep 8 07:18:25 PDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 Scot Hetzel <swhetzel at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wed,  8 Sep 2004 11:11:23 +0200 (CEST), Holger Kipp <h.kipp at eurowings.com> wrote:
> >
> > I currently try to install FreeBSD 5.3-BETA3 on a LH3000.
> > Booting from CD does work with ACPI disabled. If enabled,
> > this is what I get (handcopied from screen, typos are my own):
> >
> > All ideas, suggestions, hints, help welcome.

> 1. Upgrade the BIOS for your motherboard

Umm - afaik that is the latest version available.

> 2. Disabling APIC at the loader prompt:

>     set hint.apic.0.disabled="1" at the loader prompt

not possible, as I won't get that far. As I wrote, booting
from disk1s1a does not work. I do not get anything except a
blank screen with the character "_" (*). I do not even get a
message that there was no system to boot, so the BIOS seems
to recognize at least the bootability of the installation.
=> I don't even get a boot prompt.
The only thing that does work then is ctrl-alt-del <sigh>

With booting from CD I can then load and start everything
from disk1s1a via the loader - that is no problem (this
includes disabling apic, as I wrote).

> Also, you should post to and read the freebsd-current list for any
> issues with FreeBSD 5-3-BETA's.

I thought FreeBSD 6 is CURRENT, so with 5.3 being nearly STABLE...

Regards,
Holger Kipp

(*) I falsely stated in my first mail that this is '-'.