portsdb -Uu results in coredump

kstewart kstewart at owt.com
Mon Sep 6 20:43:43 PDT 2004

On Monday 06 September 2004 07:49 pm, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> kstewart wrote:
> > There is a bug in ruby that shows up as a bus error. Follow the topic on
> > -ports at . There are several ways to alter the INDEX[-5] so that it occurs
> > less frequently.
>
> Occurs less frequently?  That's not what I'm looking for.  Is there a
> *fix* for the root cause?

I haven't seen one. I have seen comments but when ruby is updated, you will
probably be seeing a fix.

> > I started using portindexdb because it doesn't error off. I also don't
> > use categories, which it doesn't produce.
>
> I'm using portsindexsb as a work around, but it still doesn't address or
> solve the problem which makes portsdb -Uu fail.  I've tried removing and
> re-extracting the ports tree and doing whatever else was suggested in
> the -ports@ mailing list(s) - to no avail.

I am also running portindexdb for that reason. For what I use INDEX-5.db for,
portindexdb works just fine. We may have to wait until the port freeze is
over. So far, I am only having to use in on my RELENG_5 machine. It cvsups
port-all 2x a day as a cronjob and moving a "#" from one command ot another
in the script isn't much work :).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart