portsdb -Uu results in coredump

kstewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Sep 5 23:37:20 PDT 2004

On Sunday 05 September 2004 11:12 pm, Maxim Maximov wrote:
> Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:14, Maxim Maximov wrote:
> >>That doesn't help. I tried to entirely delete all /usr/ports, ruby*,
> >>portupgrade*, removed /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db, install those all over again
> >>and still get a coredump.
> >>
> >>SIGSEGV appears in libc.so.4 in __bt_split() and it seems like a real
> >>bug in there triggered by ruby_bdb1 and some line in the ports/INDEX.
>
> Oops, I meant SIGBUS here.
>
> > Hmm, I am running 6-current (libc.so.5) so perhaps the patch to fix it
> > wasn't tested in 4.x?
>
> What patch are you talking about? I've got coredumps on two my 4.10
> machines and all my 5.x/6 systems didn't get this error, BTW.

There is a bug in ruby that shows up as a bus error. Follow the topic on
-ports at . There are several ways to alter the INDEX[-5] so that it occurs less
frequently.

I started using portindexdb because it doesn't error off. I also don't use
categories, which it doesn't produce.

BTW, if you follow ports-all, you are also supposed to also follow ports@
where this failure has been discussed for several days now. It may seem like
a waste of time until something like this pops up.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA