portsdb -Uu results in coredump

Sahil Tandon sahil at hamla.org
Sun Sep 5 22:12:06 PDT 2004

Tim Kellers wrote:

> I pkg_delete'd portupgrade and all of ruby, reinstalled portupgrade (and all
> of ruby) and had to do a portsdb -Uu even after I did a make fetchindex
> in /usr/ports to make the pkgdb in /var/db/pkg happy.  Since I've done all of
> those things, portupgrade is working again.  I had to to this on three
> machines --2 5.3 beta2 and one 4.10-STABLE, although on the stable machine I
> managed to skip the portsdb -Uu step after the make fetchindex step.
> Whatever broke the pkgdb did it around the 8500 number port in the index.

I'm having no such luck.  I've done the following:

# pkg_delete -f portupgrade\*
# pkg_delete -f ruby\*
rmdir: /usr/local/share/ri/1.8/system: No such file or directory
pkg_delete: unexec command for '/bin/rmdir -p
/usr/local/share/ri/1.8/system' failed
rmdir: /usr/local/share: Directory not empty
pkg_delete: unexec command for '/bin/rmdir -p
/usr/local/share/ri/1.8/site' failed
pkg_delete: couldn't entirely delete package (perhaps the packing list is
incorrectly specified?)
# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade/ ; make install clean
# cd /usr/ports ; make fetchindex
# portsdb -Uu

... and then I get the same ruby coredump after all that.  FWIW, I'm
running 4.10-STABLE.  And I also encounter the error somewhere after the
  8000th number port.