problem with XFree86/Xorg

Mikhail P. miha at ghuug.org
Fri Sep 3 15:21:05 PDT 2004

Hello,

I'm not running -STABLE, but 5.2.1-p9. Perhaps someone could advise where I
should start digging regarding problem I'm facing..

The problem follows:

[long preface]
I have pretty standard workstation (AMD Athlon XP 2400+/Nvidia GeForce2).
Currently, I'm using KDE3 (latest from ports) as desktop environment.
Suddenly, after upgrading system from qt3.3.2 to qt3.3.3, and XFree86-4.3.0 to
XFree86-4.4.0 (also from ports), X server started randomly freezing after
some period of time (could freeze after 20 mins, or after 24 hours/etc). I,
first, suspected it is related to the upgrade of XFree86, so I went ahead to
read /usr/ports/UPDATING on how to switch to X.org. Same day I flawlessly
switched system from XFree86-*-4.4.0 to xorg-*-6.7.0_3.

After running xorg for few hours, it also freezed the same way XFree86 did. I
did pretty standard things I usually do - worked in konsole, used
konqueror/mozilla/etc, and this time I had xmms playing something over local
NFS server.
After X freezed, I noticed that xmms still plays music, which brought me to
thought that system is still running. Tried to switch from X to console
(C+A+F<1-4>), but no luck.

I went to my friend's room, and was able to SSH into my system. First I ran
"top", and noticed that "Xorg" eats up all processor time. Next thing I did -
I ran ktrace against Xorg's pid, and then "kill -9" Xorg. After killing Xorg,
I went to my room and basically I could not do anything on the monitor - it
just had my X session hanged on it. So reboot..

[problem]
I have attached kdump output (the first 100 lines of it), which contains only
the following lines:

 76877 Xorg     RET   gettimeofday 0
 76877 Xorg     CALL  gettimeofday(0xbfbfe798,0)

I also would like to note that I tried switching between nvidia drivers, but
it did not result anything - X still freezes.

I would appreciate any suggestions/advises on this matter.

[output of kdump is attached]