freebsd 5.3 have any problem with vinum ?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 29 01:34:34 PDT 2004

On Monday, 25 October 2004 at 14:21:33 -0600, secmgr wrote:
> Andrew Konstantinov wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 05:55, Oliver Torres Delgado wrote:
>>

>>> I have freebsd 5.3 rc1 installed perfectly, i configure vinum with the
>>> handbook and all work perfect
>>> but when try run vinum with rc.conf there display the error:
>>>
>>> panic: unmount: dangling vnode
>>
>> Just like me, you should have checked the mailing list archive first.
>> Here is a nice solution:
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-August/035547.html
>
> thanks, I appreciate the pointer.  That being said, if this is a "KNOWN"
> problem (as far back as August) how come no mention in either the
> release notes OR errata.

Good question.

> I like and use FreeBSD for it's stability, but at this point in
> time, I've got broken vinum-classic (with workarounds) raid5 in 4.10
> and raid 1 in 5.3-stable.  Both of these installed per current
> documentation. I haven't logged bug reports becasue it seems like
> everything is moving to gvinum, and they'd probably just end up
> closed out as FINV

A bit of background: we know that 'gvinum' will replace Vinum; the
original intention had been to do it seamlessly, but for various
reasons that did happen.  Then we decided that we should leave them
both in the tree until gvinum had the full functionality of Vinum.
It's beginning to look like that's a bad idea.  Lukas is
(understandably) working only on gvinum, and since I know it's nearly
there, I'm not going to do any further work on Vinum in FreeBSD 5.
Given the problems, I'd suggest that we yank it.  I'm copying the
release engineering team.  Re, what do you think?

Greg