question on vinum

Mikhail P. miha at ghuug.org
Tue Oct 26 17:27:54 PDT 2004

Hello,

On our next file server, I want to make one large FTP area out of 4 drives (so
that system sees them as one volume). Vinum appears to be exactly what I
need.

I haven't worked with Vinum previously, but hear a lot about it. My question
is how to implement the above (unite four drives into single volume) using
Vinum, and what will happen if let's say one drive fails in volume? Am I
loosing the whole data, or I can just unplug the drive, tell vinum to use
remaining drives with the data each drive holds? I'm not looking for fault
tolerance solution.

From my understanding, in above scenario, Vinum will first fill up the first
drive, then second, etc.

I have read the handbook articles, and I got general understanding of Vinum.
I'm particularly interested to know if I will still be able to use volume in
case of failed drive.
Some minimal configuration examples would be greatly appreciated!

Server will be running FreeBSD-4.10.

regards,
M.