3ware raid

Carroll Kong me at carrollkong.com
Tue Oct 26 14:34:40 PDT 2004

Interesting.  I have 3 3Ware 7xxxs.  (2 7500-4LP, 1 7450)  The 7450 one on a
busy server is experiencing some pretty nasty problems.

You can google for the thread with this subject.

3ware 7506,  FreeBSD 4.x,  Maxtor Disks & SMART Problem

So far, once we backed off on the I/O load and as a result, the system has
been running solid.  I have not fully identified the problem, but I here is
a list of things to watch out for

1)  Do not use "hot swap"/"cold swap" systems.  I agree with Mike now, and I
believe I am paying the price for using a cold swap system.  We plan on
replacing the IDE backplane in hopes that it will resolve the issue.  I am
guessing nice swap systems are reserved for SCSI SCA for now.

2)  Avoid using riser cards if you can.  3Ware claims to have fixed their
issues, but put up the usual "cover your [butt]" disclaimers.  Better safe
than sorry, avoid using a riser card if you can.

3)  Avoid using Maxtor disks with it.  Yes, I know a lot of people have it
working fine.  Heck, my 2 7500-4LPs are working fine with Maxtors
throughout.  (2 in RAID1 under Win2k, 4 in RAID10 under FreeBSD 4.X)  But,
if you have a choice why risk it?

4)  Monitor the system carefully.  Apparently in DEGRADED mode, the system
has a high chance of complete lockups if left unattended.  It is important
to note that the 3Ware controller is very sensitive.  People have gone into
DEGRADED mode randomly because of slight power drops or "bad" IDE cabling.

Of course, your mileage may vary.  I will let you know if the backplane swap
out fixes everything.  For now, we want to enjoy some real uptime and hold
off on the upgrade as long as we can.

- Carroll Kong