newfs -v on vinum raid5 panics system (4.10-p3 RELEASE)

Joe Koberg joe at osoft.us
Fri Oct 22 07:00:50 PDT 2004

secmgr wrote:

> partition the same size as the slice (c=h), and then let the subdisks
> use the entire partition (len 0), the raid set is corrupted every time
> after initializing.  This usually leads to a kernel panic during
> newfs.  If I leave some amount free, (ie the subdisk only uses 8000mb
> of a 8675mb drive) no problem.  If  i'm RTFM'ing  correctly, it looks
> like it should reserve 132kb per drive.  I guess I assumed that would
> be automagically reserved, or if it's supposed to be, it's getting
> walked on.
>
> Next, I disklabel each drive (they're all identical)
> # /dev/da0s1c:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>  c: 17767827        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
> 1105*)
>  h: 17767827        0     vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 -
> 1105*)

I alway leave 64 sectors free at the beginning of the disk:

    h: 17767763        64    vinum                        # (Cyl.    0 -
1105*)

I think this is where the partition tables live, you are probably
overwriting them when vinum writes its metadata. I think a normal
UFS filesystem will leave 64 sectors of slack space at the beginning
of the partition, but vinum may not. I may also be totally wrong.

Joe Koberg
joe at osoft dot us