Release date 5-stable

alexander arundel at h3c.de
Fri Oct 15 05:45:55 PDT 2004

On Fri Oct 15 04, Mipam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/schedule.html
> Oct 17 5.3 will be released.
> Is this still possible or will it be delayed?
> The ULE scheduler will not be default in 5.3 right?
> Where can i follow more updates on 5 and release dates and
> what will and will not be default in 5.3?
> Bye,
>
> Mipam.

As you can see here: http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/schedule.html
they add the actual date next to the planed release date. Since the RELENG_5_3 branch
hasn't even been created it's very unlikely that they'll be able to release 5.3-STABLE
by the 17th of October.

Don't forget that they still need to create RELENG_5_3_RELEASE and change hundreds of
version entries in docs and stuff. Currently 5.3 is still in beta stage.

Updates will be propagated on the webpage I posted above. When 5.3 gets released update
information will be in /usr/src/UPDATING (for kernel and world) and in /usr/ports/UPDATING
(for ports).

Some goals of 5.3-STABLE are described here: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/5-roadmap/
Most of the features are those known to work properly in 5-CURRENT. Apart from a few updates
in the contributed software (gcc) not much will change from 5-CURRENT. That's because they
want 5.3 to be as STABLE as possible. So major changes will probably be commited to HEAD (6-CURRENT).

Personally I expect 5.3-RELEASE to be finished by the end of November.

Chers.