FreeBSD 4.10, dial-up, cvsup, ports

Reed Loefgren rloef at interfold.com
Thu Oct 14 06:57:13 PDT 2004

Feng,

I don't know if this will help, and I don't know if it's been suggested,
but you've been struggling with this for so long I might as well throw it
out.

I have a vanilla 4.10 machine that was absolutely incapable of using a
Courier v. everything modem, a modem that had been usable on every
linux/windows/bsd box I ever put it on. But on *this* machine it, too,
would only rarely even negotiate a connection, and when it did it would
drop it after a couple minutes.

I did two things (not very scientific, but it's My Way): I got a different
modem (Hayes Accura 33/56k) and I asked my ISP for some different dialin
numbers.

I only rarely get dropped now; usually if I'm streaming radio or listening
to real audio streams, and the negotiation, while not as fast as my old
Slackware box, goes through quickly. Some of their numbers just don't like
BSD handshakes, some do.

Hope this helps. Even better, I hope this has already been solved for you.

I'd rather flunk my Wassermann Test
Than read the poems of Edgar Guest.

                  - Auden