PowerEdge 1850

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Mon Oct 4 07:00:49 PDT 2004

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:59:19 +0200, Key Dof wrote
> Hi,
>   Did anyone try to use fbsd 4.10 on a dell poweredge 1850? i am
> intending to buy one but i need to be sure that i can run fbsd on it
> (scsi, raid and network).
> Thanks

It would be nice if you post the specs the next time ;)

Anyway, if I get it right it runs an dual Xeon with EM64T. If you want to use
that you will need the AMD64 port of FreeBSD 5.2.1. I'm not sure if EM64T is
backwards compatible with the x86 instruction code, so 4.10 will not be an
option. The main problem will be the RAID controller. SMP on 5.2.1 is also not
really top notch AFAIK.

So I would make sure to get a CPU without the EM64T/AMD64 instructions, so you
can run 4.10 on that machine, thus you make sure that the RAID controller will
function properly. See the hardware notes for more information.

Cheers,

Jorn