No RAID for VT8237?

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 30 21:37:49 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 09:38:19PM -0500, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> David O'Brien said:
>
> > There are many new SATA "RAID" controllers that our ATA driver doesn't
> > yet understand the metadata.  Soren is working on support for these newer
> > chipsets.
>
> Understood, but what im saying is that a list of supported ones would be
> very useful when trying to decide what hardware to buy.

The problem is that the RAID metadata isn't identical for all
motherboards that use the same SATA controller -- it is dependent on the
BIOS also.  For instance, I have an Iwill DK8X that has a Silicon Image
3114 controller.  On many motherboards using the SiI 3114 FreeBSD knows
the RAID metadata, however on this motherboard FreeBSD doesn't --
because my BIOS does things differently than other motherboards with a
SiI 3114.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)