erase2 ( xterm

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Nov 30 14:55:40 PST 2004

I'm cc-ing questions@ in the hope that Vance gets an
answer, and because this probably isn't really stable@
material.

*To whom it may concern:  **Please** remove the
freebd-stable CC if you reply.

Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:12:28 -0500
>Vance Shipley <vances at motivity.ca> wrote:
>

>>What's up with the ( key functioning as a backspace key
>>in an xterm?
>>

>It doesn't do that here:
>tingo at kg-work$ echo $TERM
>xterm
>tingo at kg-work$ stty -a | grep erase
>        -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho pendin -nokerninfo
>        eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^H; erase2 = ^H; intr = ^C; kill = ^U;
>        status = ^T; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;
>
>I'm running:
>tingo at kg-work$ uname -a
>FreeBSD kg-work.kg4.no 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #1: Sun Nov 14
>20:19:11 CET 2004     root at kg-work.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SS51G
>i386

Hmm, note that he was grepping "erase2" and you grepped "erase."
Check the original post ....

It shows up like Vance's here, in xterm, Eterm, Aterm,
gnometerminal, and on the console on ttyv2 whether $TERM
is set to "xterm-color", "xterm", or "cons25".  Probably if you grep
the same term, yours will say that also ...

However, his statement "functioning as a backspace" doesn't
ring true, because, no such functionality is present (for me) in
any terminal with that key, regardless of the $TERM variable.

Terminal emulation is a little bit mysterious to me; maybe someone
with more expertise can answer the larger question.  I'm just curious
whether pushing the {right parenthesis} character on Vance's
keyboard actually does backspace, and whether he's on the console,
on X, using PuTTY from a Winboxen, etc., and/or what terminal emulator
he's actually using, what version he's running, whether his termcap
symlink or file is corrupt/missing, etc., etc., blah, blah....

Vance?

Kevin Kinsey