4.10 -> 5.3 migration; what happens to vinum volumes?

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at withagen.nl
Tue Nov 30 14:39:00 PST 2004

Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 08:58:36PM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
>
>>I have a 4.10-STABLE machine that I want to migrate to 5.3-STABLE.  Most
>>of the bases are covered, but I'm not sure what to expect for my vinum
>>volumes.  I don't have anything esoteric (see attached config), but can
>>I just expect "sed -i.bak -e 's/vinum/gvinum/' /etc/fstab" to leave me
>>with working volumes?
>

> Should I take it that nobody knows, or that nobody wants to say?
>

>># Vinum configuration of shrike.private.submonkey.net, saved at Thu Nov 25 20:54:01 2004
>>drive vinumdrive2 device /dev/ad0s1d
>>drive vinumdrive0 device /dev/ad0s1h
>>drive vinumdrive3 device /dev/ad1s1d
>>drive vinumdrive1 device /dev/ad1s1h
>>volume userhome
>>volume werehaus
>>plex name userhome.p0 org concat vol userhome
>>plex name userhome.p1 org concat vol userhome
>>plex name werehaus.p0 org striped 512s vol werehaus
>>sd name userhome.p0.s0 drive vinumdrive0 plex userhome.p0 len 52428535s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 0s
>>sd name userhome.p1.s0 drive vinumdrive1 plex userhome.p1 len 52428535s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 0s
>>sd name werehaus.p0.s0 drive vinumdrive2 plex werehaus.p0 len 67166720s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 0s
>>sd name werehaus.p0.s1 drive vinumdrive3 plex werehaus.p0 len 67166720s driveoffset 265s plexoffset 512s

 From what I've seen on the lists, I'd be carefull to go that route yet
with doing a full backup of all data.
Lets say that gvinum has still rough edges. But then those only get
smoothed out by people taking the leap.

There have also been raports on succes. So I guess the reason nobody
replied is just because there is no consensus. Also look in the GEOM@
archive for several threads on this topic.

For my main fileserver I've stopped at 5.1 at this moment. I need to
test more before I go there, but I can't seem to find mucht time lately.
  It that the customers pay the bills for not playing around. :()

--WjW