No RAID for VT8237?

Bob Bishop rb at gid.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 03:09:52 PST 2004

Hi,

At 07:04 30/11/2004, Mike Jakubik wrote:
>Ash said:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > I'm not sure what the status of RAID on a VT8237 is, but is it possible
> > the array(s) is(are) there and you are not noticing them?
>
>No, there is no ar. Just the individual disks.
>
> > Most of these lower end PATA/SATA "RAID" controllers are doing their
> > work in software. As such you will be able to see (not to mention mount,
> > modify, etc...) the physical RAID components in addition to the actual
> > array.
>
>Yes, i understand that. I have many other servers with supported ATA raid.

You might try an 'atacontrol create <etc>'. I had a problem where I'd
defined RAID1 in the BIOS, but 5.3 wouldn't see it (specifically saw the
drives individually but no ar0); after atacontrol create... it all works.
Go fig.

--
Bob Bishop		    +44 (0)118 940 1243
rb at gid.co.uk		fax +44 (0)118 940 1295